Trustee job description and person specification
The role of Trustee does not have any financial remuneration; however, reasonable expenses for travel may be claimed.
Board meetings will be held in London.
There will be four quarterly meetings per year. Physical presence at meetings is ideal, although video conferencing is also available for those who are unable to attend.
Purpose of the Post:
You will serve as a Trustee of Muslim Aid to ensure that the charity successfully pursues its vision and objectives whilst acting within its constraints and responsibilities.
- Ensure that we pursue our objectives as defined in our governing documents.
- Ensure that we use our resources exclusively in pursuance of our objects: the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities may seem.
- Ensure that we protect our charitable status. An important aspect is to ensure that our resources are only spent on charitable activities.
- Ensure that we comply with our governing documents, charity and company law, other relevant legislation and regulations, and follows guidance issued by the Charity Commission and relevant regulators.
- Giving strategic direction to the charity; setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- Agreeing key strategic principles and policies and, when required, procedures for agreeing ad-hoc, exceptional, matters which fall outside established policy provisions.
- Ensuring compliance with legal, statutory and regulatory responsibilities.
- Ensuring the charity acts within the constraints of its constitution.
- Safeguarding Muslim Aid’s good name and values.
- Ensuring that the charity’s governance is at the highest possible standard.
- Guarding the long-term ability to advance the charity’s objectives, holding its assets in trust for the benefit of current and future beneficiaries.
- Maintaining oversight of the charity’s fundraising.
- Ensure the financial stability, effective and efficient administration of the charity, reviewing and approving financial strategies and monitoring income and expenditure, to ensure the organisation is in good financial health.
- Manage risk (legal, security, reputational) and determine risk appetite.
- Protect and manage the property of the charity.
- Monitor the human resource and organisational development strategies and their implementation.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Muslim Aid’s Equality and Diversity policy.
|Significant active involvement in high-level planning, monitoring and performance management.||X|
|Direct experience of operating within the voluntary and community sector organisations as a trustee.||X|
|Strategic planning experience at senior level.||X|
|Problem solving and conflict resolution/change management.||X|
|Persuading and influencing.||X|
|Sound independent judgement.||X|
|Ability to think creatively.||X|
|Ability to work as part of a team.||X|
|Legislative and operating framework for charities/voluntary and community sector organisations.||X|
|Knowledge of the principles of corporate governance.||X|
|Strong commitment to Muslim Aid’s mission, visions and values.||X|
|Gravitas and positive personal profile.||X|
|Commitment to the Seven Principles of Public Life (selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership).||X|
|Able to attend Board meetings in London.||X|