Chair job description and person specification
Chair of the Board Trustees
The role of Trustee does not have any financial remuneration; however, reasonable expenses for travel may be claimed.
Board meetings will be held in London.
There will be four quarterly meetings per year. Physical presence at meetings is ideal, although video conferencing is also available for those who are unable to attend.
Purpose of the Post:
You will provide leadership to the Board and ensure that trustees fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the proper governance of the charity. You will ensure that the Board as a whole works in partnership with the Senior Management Team in the furtherance of the charity’s objectives. You will support and, where appropriate, challenge the Chief Executive.
- Ensure that we pursue our objectives as defined in our governing documents.
- Ensure that we use our resources exclusively in pursuance of our objects: the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities may seem.
- Ensure that we protect our charitable status. An important aspect is to ensure that our resources are only spent on charitable activities.
- Ensure that we comply with our governing documents, charity and company law, other relevant legislation and regulations, and follows guidance issued by the Charity Commission and relevant regulators.
- Providing leadership for the Board of Trustees in its role of setting the vision and strategy for Muslim Aid.
- Chairing Board meetings and overseeing the efficient administration of processes to maximise the effectiveness of the Board.
- Ensuring that Muslim Aid’s mission, vision and values are regularly reviewed and are reflected in business planning.
- Representing and promoting Muslim Aid to external partners, stakeholders and funders across the public and private sector.
- Ensuring that the Board, Trustee membership and related governance arrangements are routinely reviewed to reflect the needs of the organisation.
- Ensuring that Muslim Aid applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives.
- Providing line management and coaching to the Chief Executive.
- Safeguarding Muslim Aid’s reputation and values.
|Leadership of organisations within public, private or voluntary sector.||X|
|Direct experience of operating within the voluntary and community sector organisations either as a trustee or in a leadership capacity.||X|
|Operating at Board or Senior Management level.||X|
|Working in partnership.||X|
|Coaching and mentoring of senior managers.||X|
|Chairing of high-level meetings.||X|
|Problem solving and conflict resolution/change management.||X|
|Strong ambassadorial skills.||X|
|Sound independent judgement.||X|
|Ability to think creatively.||X|
|Ability to work as part of a team.||X|
|Principles and practice of effective leadership and management.||X|
|Knowledge of the principles of corporate governance.||X|
|Legislative and operating framework for charities/voluntary and community sector organisations.||X|
|Managing finance and accounts.||X|
|Strong commitment to Muslim Aid’s mission, visions and values.||X|
|Gravitas and positive personal profile.||X|
|Commitment to the Seven Principles of Public Life (selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership).||X|
|Able to attend Board meetings in London.||X|